– 1 pound Fresh shrimp, medium or large
– 1 cup Cold water
– 1 tablespoon Vodka
– 2 cups Oil, for deep-frying
– 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
– 6 tablespoons Coarse salt
– 1/8 teaspoon White pepper
– 1 cup all-purpose Flour
– 1/2 teaspoon Black peppercorns
– 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
– 2 teaspoons Baking powder
– Make the batter by mixing the flour and baking powder in a bowl, gradually add the cold water, whisking until smooth. While you make the batter, marinate shrimps briefly in a mixture of vodka, salt, and white pepper.
– In a wok, heat 2 cup of oil until it reaches 350 degrees F. Add 1 tablespoon of the hot oil to the batter and stir to combine. Take prawn by its tail and dip it into the batter (not including the tail), then slide it into the hot oil. Deep-fry all the shrimps in small batches for 2 minutes each, or until golden brown. Drain them on paper towels.
– Make the dipping sauce by combining coarse salt and the peppercorns in a bowl. In a dry frying pan over high heat, brown the salt/pepper mixture. When browned remove and run the mixture through a grinder.
– Serve the Phoenix-tail shrimps in serving dish with tails up, along with the dipping sauce.